The Getting Lost Game – a unique game designed right here in New Zealand to get you off devices and instead get wonderfully lost and exploring new places.
Each kit contains 26 “misdirection cards” which give you random directions to (things like turn left, follow a blue car, head in the direction the wind is blowing) to get you being mindfully random in your exploration.
The Getting Lost Game is designed by me and my husband James, with help (and a lot of road testing) from our 3 daughters. We create, assemble and ship them from our home in Birkenhead, Auckland and where ever we can we use local suppliers to reduce our impact on the world.
We encourage you to make your own rules and the ways you can play it are endless and entirely adaptable to you.
Here’s some ideas we’ve had though…
- For quick play, pick a new direction card at each intersection
- For a game that lasts a couple of hours pick a new card every 5 minutes
- Want to keep it simple? Just keep in the direction cards (left, right, north, south etc) and take out the trickier ones
- Looking for a weekend get away? Play the game until you get the “head for home” card and then find a hotel or campground in what ever town you are in when you get the card
- Don’t want to stop for treats? Take the treat and drink card out before you start playing
- Send the kids off for a walk with the game to explore new places
- Arrive in a new city and set off walking with the cards – take a new direction at each intersection
- Want to surprise someone? Add in your own card in the middle (seriously – anyone looking for a proposal card please let us know – we’ll make you one!)
On the reverse side are 26 “inspiration cards” to plan your next trip. All the spots on your inspiration cards are featured here on the blog so you can find out lots more about how to find these spots yourself.
The deluxe edition comes in a suitcase designed and printed here in New Zealand using plant based, biodegradable PLA. It measures 100mm x 85mm x 24mm. Your case fits the main game plus one additional 10 card booster pack. If you need more space for extra cards we sell extra suitcases (we call these Matching Luggage) too.
Each card measures 91mm x 55mm and they’re also printed in NZ. All packs have 26 cards with misdirection cards on one side and inspiration cards on the other side.
The mini compass is an optional add on (please note, this is not NZ made – the rest of your game is though). It is 20mm (so please don’t give this to under 3’s as it is a choking hazard). Just like Superman wears his undies on the outside we recommend you put your compass on the outside of your case too for the best fit. Just loop the cord around the handle – easy!
The game is ideally suited to outdoor play and there are a few cards you won’t be able to use if you are on foot (like follow a white car – unless you are very quick!). But if you do want to play on foot we recommend you add on the Booster Pack for more walking misdirections.
Please remember to play the game responsibly and make sure that you stay safe and able to get yourself back home at all times. The compass is a toy designed for playing the game only so please don’t rely on this for directions.